.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Admissions Essay - I Will Practice Medicine :: Medicine College Admissions Essays

Admissions Essay - I Will Practice Medicine From the judgment of conviction I was 10 years old, I spent my summers at overnight camp. While baseball and canoeing were fun, I spent my free time in the camp radio station. academic term at the microphone, my imagination ran wild as I made stories come alive, weaving characters in and verboten of danger, delivering punch lines, injecting irony. My fingers flew over the controls, pushing buttons, pulling levers at just the right times. I thrived on the creativity and precision it took to sound good on the air. As I grew older, my exposure to the media expanded. My first job out of college was with CNNs Larry King Live, where I spent three exciting years. While the job had its thrills, it became an unsatisfying way to make a living for someone who was taught to discipline wakeless for the under-served, think carefully about lifes priorities, and live by them everyday. I longed to feed my intellectual curiosity. I wanted to work with my hands and remain involved with people. I was mature enough to work hard for what I wanted. I quit my job at CNN and began taking Pre-Med courses and volunteering in a hospital. I moved from my two-bedroom flat to a small efficiency. Black-tie affairs with celebrities became TV dinners over a chemistry book. My life was changed. One year later, I continue to donate my time as an Emergency Medical Technician in the Georgetown Emergency Room, and I play my guitar and sing with sick kids in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Volunteering has confirmed what I thought - that medicine is where I belong. Even in my limited capacity as a volunteer, bringing a cold patient a screen or putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder is deeply rewarding. Watching a child smile as we sing venerable McDonald, and knowing that, even for a moment, he is thinking about something besides his sick body, keeps me coming back every week. And learning about why our bodies work the way they do has even g reater rewards, for a slightly different reason. When I was 13 years old, my mother died after battling liver cancer for a year and a half. I remember very well the first few months after the disease took hold. We tried different drugs and therapies in various doses.

No comments:

Post a Comment